Today web development is a complex and in-demand field. Almost any company, regardless of size or industry, needs a well-functioning website to compete and succeed. So it’s no surprise that more and more businesses are turning to web developers to create and maintain their online presence.
But assembling a top-notch development team is easier said than done. There are a lot of factors to consider, and it can be tough to find all the right people with the necessary skills. You have to take into account everything from the type of people you are looking for, to where they are located.
If you are assembling a web development team from scratch, you might be filled with various questions. Where do you start? How do you find the most qualified candidates for your site’s needs? Where can you look to hire great people that fit into both your budget and time frame requirements?
Don’t worry, we’ve all been there. To make this journey much easier, we’ve compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions about web development, and provided answers – so it can serve as a go-to resource for you.
What is web development?
Web development is a broad term that refers to the work that goes into creating websites from scratch. It includes tasks such as coding, designing and testing sites before they go live.
Who are web developers?
Web developers can be divided into two main categories: front-end and back-end.
- Front-end developers are responsible for the website’s appearance, its “look and feel.” They are in charge of things like color schemes, font styles and the general layout. This role requires a high degree of creativity as well as technical skills.
- Back-end developers are responsible for tasks such as database management and website security. They are also responsible for integrating third-party services with a site, such as social media platforms or payment gateways.
What skills do web developers need?
There are a number of skills that are essential for successful web development. Most developers have a strong background in coding, but they also need to be familiar with different platforms and software. They should be able to work independently as well as part of a team, and be comfortable working with clients.
Here are some of the most important skills that web developers need to possess.
- Front-end development skills – A good front-end developer needs to be creative and have a strong understanding of how websites are displayed in different browsers. They should also be up-to-date on the latest trends and technologies in this field.
- Back-end development skills – Back-end developers work with different coding languages and frameworks. They should be familiar with PHP, Ruby on Rails, Laravel and Express.JS.
- Understanding of web hosting and server administration – In order to build and maintain a website, developers need to know how websites are hosted and what the different components are. This includes understanding things like domain names, DNS servers and FTP clients.
- Knowledge of popular CMSs (content management systems) – A content management system (CMS) is a platform that allows users to edit and update content on their website. Developers need to know how these platforms work, as well as which ones are the most popular with clients.
- Understanding of mobile web development – It’s important for developers to understand what factors affect the user experience when browsing websites from different devices. They should be familiar with popular mobile frameworks like React Native and Ionic, as well as responsive design principles.
How do you know if you need a website or not?
This is an important question to answer before considering hiring a web developer. Every company or brand must have an online presence. The long-term answer to the question is that a website will undoubtedly be needed at some point in the future.
However, If you are a small business just starting out, you may be able to get away with a simple Facebook or Instagram page.
It all depends on your use case, but keep in mind that sooner or later you will want to grow your business and the only way to do that is by showing up in Google search results with your website.
Where to find web developers?
Now that you know what skills are required for a successful web development team, the next step is finding the right people to fill those roles.
There are a number of places where you can find qualified developers, including online job boards, classified websites and social media. You can also reach out to local development agencies or tech meetups in your area.
The best way to find the right developer for your team is to launch a wide net and interview as many candidates as possible. This will allow you to assess more potential hires and find the right person for your business.
However, this can not only be overwhelming but also expensive. That is why many companies turn to outsourcing. This allows them to find the right talent at a lower cost without spending too much time and money. Because of this, outsourcing became an important business practice for small, medium, and large businesses alike.
How to assess web developers’ skills?
Once you have a pool of candidates, the next step is assessing their skills. This can be done in a number of ways, but the most common is by giving them a test project to work on.
Reading about skills and experiences in a CV is one thing, but actually seeing someone working on a project – while you are watching them like a hawk – is another.
This will allow you to see how they work, if their code makes sense and if they can meet deadlines. It also gives the developer an opportunity to show off their skills so you know exactly what kind of candidate they are.
There are also skills assessment tools available online, such as Codecademy’s Pro Developer Track. This will help you test a developer’s skills in several different areas.
How to manage a web development team?
There is no such thing as a good team if there is no good management.
The best way to manage a web development team is by creating clear guidelines and expectations for each role in the team. This includes things like project deadlines, coding standards, and communication protocols.
It’s also important to set up regular team meetings so everyone can update each other on their progress. This will help keep things organized and on track.
Last but not least, developers need to be held accountable for their work. This can be done by giving them a task list or milestone chart that needs to be completed by a certain date.
Why should I hire a professional instead of trying to learn how to code myself?
This is a question that comes up often and the answer is simple: Your time is limited.
Learning how to code takes a lot of time and effort. Not only do you need to know the right language, but you also need to learn about web development best practices, design principles, and more.
Even if you are a developer yourself, you will need to hire a team of professionals to help you with certain aspects of the project because you cannot do it all yourself.
This is why hiring a professional web development team is the best option for most businesses. They will have the skills and experience needed to get your website up and running in no time. Plus, you can rest assured that they are following all the latest web development trends and best practices.
Should I outsource or hire in-house?
This depends on your specific situation.
Hiring in-house web developers will ensure that you have full control over the entire development process, which is great for some businesses. On the other hand, outsourcing allows to cut costs and avoid hiring new employees altogether – which can be very useful if you are short of time or money.
If your outsourcing partner is a reputable and experienced agency, you can rest assured that they will take care of all your web development needs without sacrificing quality.
Finding the right web development team for your business can be a challenging task. We hope we’ve covered everything you were interested in to make an informed decision. In the end, it all comes down to what works best for your particular situation.
If you have any questions or would like further advice, please feel free to contact us at any time. And if you’re looking for an outsourcing partner, schedule a free consultation call with our team and let’s discuss your project.