How to Outsource Programming
A new year has begun, however, the trend of outsourcing programming and IT work still remains on the rise.
Since the business climate is becoming increasingly competitive companies are searching for better and more efficient ways to get their work done, and oftentimes, this includes outsourcing certain tasks or projects to a third party.
Programming is no exception; in fact, it is one of the most commonly outsourced services.
If you have never outsourced software development before, you might be wondering where to start, how to choose a reliable partner, or what mistakes you should avoid.
If that’s the case, we are here to help! This blog post covers everything you need to know about how to outsource programming in 2022.
What is programming outsourcing?
Programming outsourcing is a business practice of assigning IT-related tasks to a third party. It means that companies hire external developers and give them certain projects or tasks to complete instead of using the services of their in-house team.
Software outsourcing can be used for short-term or long-term assignments, depending on the company’s needs and requirements. It is a common practice among small and medium-sized businesses, as it helps them increase productivity, reduce costs, and get their work done faster.
2022 IT outsourcing trends
Before we get into the details of how to outsource your programming in 2022, let’s take a quick look at some of the IT outsourcing trends that are expected to dominate this year.
Remote work is becoming increasingly popular
Due to recent developments, more and more people are working from home. This is good news for those looking to outsource their programming as they can hire developers based anywhere in the world! Thanks to this trend, companies now have access to a global talent pool and can find the best programmers for their projects.
Cloud computing continues to grow
Cloud services have been around for a while now, and they continue gaining popularity among businesses of all sizes. In 2022, the cloud system infrastructure services (IaaS) market is expected to grow by 26% compared to 2021.
More and more IT companies are switching from on-premise software to cloud-based services, and this is expected to continue in 2022.
The rise of AI
Artificial intelligence (AI) is gradually becoming more popular and widespread among businesses, and this is expected to continue in 2022.
This innovative technology can be used in a number of different ways and can be the deciding factor between success and failure for businesses seeking to compete in today’s competitive landscape. That’s why more and more outsourcing companies are offering AI services.
More focus on big data and data analytics
You can’t have AI without big data, and it’s no surprise that these two technologies are closely related. Outsourcing companies are starting to provide more big data services as demand increases and businesses begin adopting new technology at an accelerated rate in order to stay relevant and competitive on the market.
Blockchain services are more in demand
Due to the increased popularity of cryptocurrencies and other digital assets, more businesses are incorporating blockchain technology into their systems. Software outsourcing companies are starting to provide dedicated developers who specialize in this field because the demand for such services is growing rapidly.
Cybersecurity is more important than ever
Technologies advance but so do the methods used by cybercriminals to exploit them. As we have seen in the past, cybersecurity breaches can be very costly for businesses. In fact, they can even lead to the demise of a company.
This is why businesses are increasingly turning to cybersecurity services in order to protect their systems and data from potential attacks. Programming outsourcing companies are starting to offer these services as well, so be sure to ask about them when you’re looking for a vendor.
Steps for outsourcing your programming
Now that we’ve looked at some of the IT outsourcing trends that are expected to dominate this year, let’s take a look at the steps you need to take in order to outsource your programming.
Step 1: Define your needs and requirements
The first step is to clearly define your needs and requirements. What kind of programmer(s) do you need? What type of programming language is required for this job?
IT outsourcing companies provide a wide range of services, so it’s important to know exactly what type of help you’re looking for before contacting them.
This step might even help you realize that you don’t need to outsource your programming at all and can instead find a software developer that can meet your needs in-house.
Step 2: Decide on the outsourcing location
There are many different options when it comes to choosing where to look for a software outsourcing partner. Location is very important as it will directly affect the cost of your project, communication, and the overall quality of your service.
IT outsourcing companies are located all over the world, but the region that is gaining the most popularity for this type of service is Eastern Europe.
Read our comprehensive guide on choosing the right location and find out why we advise Georgia as the best option for IT outsourcing.
Step three: Make a list of potential partners
Great, so you now know what you’re looking for and where to find it. The next step is to compile a list of potential partners from that specific country. This can be done by conducting a simple Google search, reading online reviews, investigating previous projects, or asking for referrals from friends or colleagues.
Don’t just settle for the first programming outsourcing company you find. Take your time and do some research in order to make sure that the vendor will meet all of your requirements before contacting them directly with an inquiry about their services.
Clutch can be a good resource for finding all of the above-mentioned information about potential partners.
Step four: Interview potential partners
Make sure you contact more than one programming outsourcing company and set up interviews with each of them. This will give you a chance to ask questions, get a feel for their culture, and see if they’re a good fit for your project.
Some things you may want to ask during these interviews include:
- The company’s experience in the type of programming you need;
- Programming languages they are familiar with;
- Their rates and project quotes ;
- The company’s policies on quality assurance, deadlines, and changes/updates to the project plan.
Also, pay attention to what your potential partners will focus on during the interview. Will they really be interested in your business and what you’re trying to accomplish, or are they just trying to sell you their services?
The ones that will ask the most questions are usually more interested in helping you achieve your goals and finding out how they can best assist with that process than just getting another project under their belt.
Companies that seem eager to talk about themselves without asking much about what exactly it is you need them for should be avoided at all costs!
Step five: Choose the right partner and discuss the final details
After narrowing down your options, it’s time to choose a programming outsourcing company that you feel comfortable with. Don’t rush into anything and make sure all of the terms are clear before signing any contracts!
Clarify all of the following details before you start working with them:
- Scope of work (what exactly will they do for you?), budget and timeline;
- Expected output from their side, as well as what will be expected from your staff;
- Communication plan- how often should meetings take place? Who needs to be involved in those meetings and who should attend? Will there be regular reports or updates on progress made by both parties involved?
- Terms of payment – how much money will they charge you upfront, when do they expect to receive it and what happens if something goes wrong during the project timeframe (e.g., if there’s a change in plans)?
- Security and confidentiality- what assurances can they give you that your intellectual property will be protected?
- Termination clause (in case one party decides to end the partnership)- what happens if either side wants out before completion of the project?
These are just a few of the things you’ll need to iron out before starting any project, but they’re essential in order to avoid any misunderstandings or disputes further down the line.
To make sure nothing gets past your attention, we’ve put together a comprehensive checklist of crucial questions to ask before hiring a software outsourcing partner.
Step six: Monitor the work as it happens
Once everything has been agreed and organized, is there nothing left but to sit back and let your programming outsourcing team work their magic? Not so fast!
Even if you’ve hired the best of the best, it’s important to keep an eye on their work as it progresses. This doesn’t mean hovering over them and micromanaging every little thing they do, but rather being available when needed and asking for regular reports so that you’re always in the loop.
This will help you catch any potential problems early on and ensure that the project is completed on time, within budget and to your exact specifications.
Regardless of the experience and track record of your outsourcing partner, a little vigilance on your part will help guarantee that the end result is everything you hoped for.
How to manage remote programmers
With regards to our last point, it’s important to realize that effective management of remote programmers is essential for successful outsourcing.
When you’re working with a team on the other side of the world and they don’t report directly to you, things get more complicated because there are so many different factors involved – cultural differences between countries as well as time zones being just two examples.
That’s why it’s important to have a certain strategy in place for managing remote programmers. Let’s take a look at some tips:
- Establish clear lines of communication – this includes everything from setting up regular meetings to ensuring that all team members have access to the same communication tools (like Slack, for example).
- Create a set of standards – having clearly defined guidelines for how work is done will help avoid any misunderstandings or conflicts down the line.
- Encourage team bonding – even though they’re not in the same room, it’s still important to foster a sense of team spirit among your remote programmers. This can be done through things like shared social media accounts or regular video conferences.
- Make sure you have the right tools – without the proper tools, managing remote programmers can quickly become overwhelming and inefficient. That’s why it’s essential to make sure that everyone has access to the right tools, such as Slack for communication or Trello for managing projects. This will ensure that your team is always on top of their work without having too much overhead from administrative tasks like sending emails back and forth all day long!
- Regularly assess progress – by checking in on your team’s progress on a regular basis, you can catch any potential problems before they become too difficult to manage.
If you want a more detailed look at how to manage remote programmers, we’ve put together an in-depth guide that goes into everything from time management tips for working with a global team to the best tools and resources available online today.
Benefits of outsourcing your programming
We covered some of the basics and best practices for outsourcing your programming in this article, but before we wrap things up, let’s take a quick look at some of the benefits of doing so and why it’s worth considering this option when hiring a development team.
- Increased efficiency – by outsourcing to a team that specializes in programming, you can quickly and easily get tasks completed that may have been difficult or impossible to do on your own or with an in-house team.
- Reduced costs – not only will you save money on hiring new employees, but also potentially reduce other expenses since they won’t need office space or equipment. Additionally, outsourced teams are often able to work for less than what it would cost you to hire someone locally.
- Increased flexibility – one of the biggest advantages of outsourcing your programming is that there are no long-term commitments or contracts required; instead, clients pay only when they need a developer’s help with something specific. This allows them to scale up and down their project teams as needed without having to worry about paying for unused time or resources.
- Access to experts – programmers are scarce resources, and often the best ones are already taken. By outsourcing your programming , you have access to a team of experts who can help with everything from developing new applications to maintaining existing ones.
- Ability to focus more time and energy on your core business – outsourcing Programming allows you to focus less effort toward these tasks so that it can be channeled into building up your company and expanding your customer base.
Outsourcing Programming can be a great way to get tasks completed quickly and efficiently, while freeing up time and energy for you to focus on other aspects of your business.
This was a quick rundown of the benefits, but if you’d like more in-depth information, check out our detailed article on why companies prefer outsourcing agencies over individual contractors.
When to outsource programming
Did we convince you? Programming outsourcing is a great option for many companies, but it’s not right in every situation. The best way to determine if Programming outsourcing is right for your business is by asking yourself these questions:
- Do I have enough work that requires outsourcing? If you’re going through periods where there isn’t much programming work required, then hiring an outsourcing firm isn’t going to be cost-effective. However, it could still make sense if your company is in need of programming but not enough to justify hiring full-time employees.
- Is there a team available within my budget? If local talents are out of reach financially for your company, outsourcing may be a good option. Just make sure to do your research and find an agency that you feel comfortable with and can trust.
- Do I need programming on an ongoing basis? If you only need programming help for specific tasks or projects, outsourcing is a good solution. However, if you’re in need of someone who can be a long-term member of your team and contribute to your business on an ongoing basis, then it may be better to hire an in-house team member.
- Is local talent scarce in my area? Outsourcing can be a great option if the best developers are scarce in your area. This way you can still find high-quality developers without having to search locally.
- Is my company ready for an offshore team? Offshore teams come with their own set of challenges, so it’s important that your company is prepared before making this decision.
By answering these questions, you can get a good idea of whether IT outsourcing is the right solution for your business. If it is, then congratulations – you’re on your way to increased efficiency and cost savings!
Outsourcing Programming can be a great way to get tasks completed quickly and efficiently, while freeing up time and energy for you to focus on other aspects of your business. In order to make the most out of outsourcing, it’s important to ask yourself the right questions and find an agency that you feel comfortable with. When done correctly, outsourcing can be a great way to improve your company’s IT operations.
If you happen to be looking for a professional outsourcing agency that can help your business with a wide range of IT services, then look no further than us.
We have years of experience providing programming services for businesses around the world and can help you with any IT-related needs that may arise.
Schedule a free consultation and let’s discuss how software development outsourcing can benefit your business!